Thursday 19 September 2013

The World's Best Blueberry-Banana Muffins

Or maybe the best, period.  I've fancied myself a good cook going back more than 30 years when we still lived at a kind of food epicenter on Bleecker Street in the West Village.  I've never posted a recipe here before but this one is simple and I thought I'd experiment and see if anyone cares.  Happy not to do again, but here goes.  Next (if there's popular demands): Senegalese Chicken Soup.

Mitch's Blueberry-Banana-Pecan Muffins

(adapted from Paul Prudhomme without his usual excessive NOLA butter and sugar, and with my own additions)

--Preheat oven to 375 degrees
--Melt a stick of butter
--Briefly roast a half cup of pecans, or more if you like, then break into small pieces
--Mash 3 large bananas
--Pour the butter into bowl, drop in two eggs and stir
--Add 3 tablespoons of buttermilk or yogurt
--Add 2 teaspoons of baking soda
--Add  1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
--Add 2/3 cup of sugar--I used half white and half brown but do what you like
--Fold in 1 1/2 cups of flour--I used 1/3 white, 1/3 whole wheat, 1/3 corn, but do what you like
--Add 1 cup (or more if you like) of blueberries

(If you want a bit of a topping crumble up some more pecans and make mix with some brown sugar)

Use your muffin tin.   Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, no more.  Makes about a dozen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment