Sunday 6 October 2013

Suicide Attempt Announced Again?

UPDATES Sunday   Sadly, after the "good news" below I just received this email purportedly from Bunita (the address is indeed the same one she has long given at her site):   "I tried to comment to your blog but for some reason it did not take. So here it is: Yeah I miscalculated on the dates. I didn't realize how long it would take to write my final words. And that no DR or friend or ER would help me. So 5/5/52 to 10/6/13 would be more accurate."  Her Facebook page has reappeared and she has sounded desperate there.  I am trying to contact friends of hers via Facebook.  Later:  Her Facebook page has been take down again. 

UPDATES Friday   10 p.m. ET news from Tim Page, though no explanation: "Good news! According to Sandy Meyers, Bunita's sister, Bunita is at home! So glad to know we will have more company and music from this valuable person."

7 p.m. ET,  no further word, as friends try to contact. 

Earlier:  My friend Tim Page, the former Pulitzer-winning Washington Post music writer and author and now prof in Los Angeles, posted at Facebook earlier today widespread alarm over a Facebook entry for an acquaintance (whose name did not ring a bell with me, I'll confess).  She is a well-known composer and conductor.   He had wondered if just a "hoax" but others alerted police who arrived at her home.  Her Facebook page has just been deleted which could mean....several things.  Now Tim just updated:
A strange and shocking morning. I turned on my computer to find the following FB post, from an acquaintance and composer I admire enormously.

Bunita Marcus
Rip  bunita marcus
5/5/52 to 10/4/13
Bunita Marcus likes this.


As you might imagine, this sent off alarms throughout the music community and among Bunita's friends. The police were sent and they found her dog but not Bunita. Now her page has disappeared. Does anybody know if Bunita is OK? A lot of people care for her.
Her most recent Facebook postings defended Obamacare, among other subjects, but gave no sign of taking any major step herself.   

No comments:

Post a Comment